Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Virginity 2: Electric Boogaloo

How I Met Your Mother has been on an amazing roll since it came back from the strike hiatus. I was worried about the show at the beginning of the season but now that the episodes have gotten back to their season 2 levels of awesomeness and the Britney cameos have brought in some more viewers I'm confident we'll see the show return this fall.

On to the recap!

There's a lot of speculation out there that Stella might be the titular mother but I remain skeptical. The premise of the show has always been slightly flimsy - do these kids not know their own mother's name?! At this point it seems like they're just sitting on the couch listening to their dad rehash his failed relationships and
conquests. Still, even given that the show has never really stuck to the premise all that well I would think that they would not have cast a blonde girl to play Stella's daughter. If Stella is the mother then she and Ted have more than just the 2 kids we've seen so far. Maybe she's been outcast?

That said part of me hopes Stella is the mother because I've loved Sarah Chalke since the first episode of Scrubs. It doesn't hurt that she and Josh Radnor seem to have great chemistry. So much so that I totally buy that after a 5 year "dry spell" it's Ted she finally decides to let in. Go ahead, giggle. May we move on now?

I liked that the first thing they did to move the relationship forward was not have sex but instead that Stella introduces her daughter to Ted. Makes sense and really establishes them as a serious couple.

Not too much Marshall and Lilly this week but what we did get was classic. From Marshall listing all the big events that happened the last time Stell
a had sex to Lilly's further characterization as a sex addict. Seriously Marshall must have the stamina of a freaking...what animal can have sex for a really long time? Well that's him.

Oh Barney, how the mighty have fallen. Will Forte makes a great appearance as Randy, Ted's replacement but only after Barney has exhausted all other possibilities. I still think Robin should be Barney's new wingman but we'll see if that happens. Classic line of the night: Randy about his untimely nosebleed, "It happens everytime I get an erection." I had to pause my DVR to recover from that one.

I really, really hope Barney gets welcomed back into the fold. The fact that Ted will still sometimes take his calls to get back together gives me hope. Next week Britney Spears' Abby comes back to team up with Barney to make Ted jealous.

Just typing that sentence makes me chuckle. I'll be back later this week with my recap of Lost. I spend so much time researching the crap out of that show anyway I might as well write a blog for it. I'll post a recap of the season too, Missy. Eventually!

Check back randomly for possible updates!

No comments: