Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Now That's What I'm Talking Aboot!

How I Met Your Mother
I can't tell how much I missed this show during the strike. True it's been an uneven and at times awkward 3rd season (and not awkward in a great Office way more in a CSI love scene way) but now that the strike is over the show has gone back to doing what it does best: keep me laughing for 30 minutes straight...minus commercials.

Robin Sparkles!
Let me be the first to welcome back America's favorite Canadian mid-tier pop star! Fresh on the heels of her hit "Let's Go To The Mall!" comes the soon-to-be classic "Sandcastles in the Sand." Few shows will go out of their way to create a faux 80s mall
princess for laughs but that's what makes this show great! With Robin's summer ex coming for a visit she gets ready to finally "win" the break up and make him feel like a loser. Unfortunately a case of revertigo (the phenomenon of turning into your high school persona around people you knew then) kicks in and suddenly Robin is back to being 16 with a crush. Except her crush has gone from looking like a young James Van Der Beek to a balding, overweight, loser James Van Der Beek. Hooray for prosthetic comedy!

Gotta say I was pleasantly surprised by Dawson's comedy chops in this one. From his dead-on impersonation of the guys on top of water slides to his terrible Canadian accent. Dude can commit! Unfortunately for our lame but still good friend she ends up getting dumped the same way she did when she was 16; in the back of the same van for the same girl...but this time for a Jacuzzi not a swimming pool.

"He was my sidekick"
OK all of the above was just filler to get to the moment we've waited a year for; another Robin Sparkles video! "Slap bet" is to this day one of my favorite episodes of any TV show ever. For real. So I reacted pretty much like Barney did when it was revealed we'd be treated to more 80s awesomeness! While this video isn't quite as good as "Mall" I have to say the song had some moments that really made me laugh. She's on the pill now man, go for it!

Not sure about that final scene though. Won't spoil it for anyone but it's something that's been hinted at since the first season and I'm still not sure how it's gonna play out. But it was big. Huge. You might even say...wait for it...LEGENDARY!

I decided I'll wait till the new season of Doctor Who premieres to write recaps of that. So stay tuned!

3 comments:

Carly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carly said...

My favorite "legendary" moment, and I don't know if you'll remember it because it was like in the first or second episode in season 1 was when Barney says, "It's gonna be legend... wait for it... and I hope you're not lactose intolerant because the second half of that word is DAIRY!"

Yay, Robin Sparkles - she is my new idol!!!!! I'm all aboot Robin Sparkles!

Carly said...

Don't worry, it was me that deleted that comment - I wasn't completely satisfied with it.